My debut collection Another life was published by Oversteps Books in November 2016. Indigo Dreams Publishing Ltd published a second collection Nothing serious, nothing dangerous in November 2019. My pamphlet A Stolen Hour was published by Grey Hen Press spring 2020. I hold a Northern Writers’ Award from New Writing North, 2020.
Awards and competition successes
- Received a Northern Writers’ Award 2020 from New Writing North, judged by Vahni Capildeo. The completed manuscript is now being submitted to a publisher.
- Nightshift at the bird factory was shortlisted in the 2020 Cafe Writers’ competition.
- Partial view of a loch was nominated for the Forward Prize for best single poem (2019).
- 2019: Self-portrait with beret, wide-eyed was shortlisted in the Grey Hen Press Competition and published in their Out of Context anthology. Other poems were shortlisted, and winner in a competition organised by Fly on the Wall Press.
- 2018: Poems were selected and shortlisted in the Ver Poets and Ilkley Literature Festival poetry competitions.
- 2017: Cellar was a runner-up in the Ambit poetry competition, judged by George Szirtes. Whitby Scenes was awarded 2nd Prize in the Waltraud Field Competition. Poems were also commended (Barnet Competition, Waltraud Field Open Poetry Competition) and highly commended (Poetry on the Lake competition).
- 2016: poems were winner (Poetry Society’s quarterly member competition); commended (Havant) and Highly Commended (Manchester Cathedral).
- 2014: My father as a coat stand was commended in the Magma competition.
- 2013: My entry in the erbacce poetry pamphlet competition was commended. There were 6,000 submissions from the UK and abroad. erbacce magazine published 12 poems and an interview with Dr Ursula Hurley, Senior Lecturer in English and Creative Writing, University of Salford.
- 2012: Standing in for Utah was awarded the Sonnet Prize in the Ware Poets Open Poetry competition, while Still casting a shadow was commended in the same competition. Both poems were published in the competition anthology. The Vienna of Sigmund Freud was awarded 2nd place in the Marple International Poetry competition.
- My early successes include being awarded a Highly Commended in the 1995 Tees Valley Writer poetry competition for the sonnet On the beach. The poem Final wishes was the winner in the 1994 Salford Libraries’ Writing Competition. Games was awarded a Seal of Achievement from the Yeats Club, 1988.
Poems – Published
- Featured Poet in Orbis #185, with five poems, prose poems and prose pieces.
- Poems have been published in a range of magazines, including Orbis, The North, Little Mslexia, Magma, Poetry News, The Affectionate Punch, Pause, Rapport, erbacce, Strix, The Journal, The Frogmore Papers, Fly on the Wall Magazine, Pennine Platform.
- Poems appeared online on: And Other Poems, Ink Sweat & Tears, Poetry and Covid, Poems in the Plague Year, Floresta Magazine, The Poetry Shed, Free Verse Revolution, Harana and Silver Birch Press (US).
- Poems have appeared in over 20 anthologies. Details of recent anthologies are on the Books page.
- Haiku, tanka and renga and other collaborative sequences have been published in anthologies, magazines and journals. These include Bare Bones, Blithe Spirit, Presence, Journal of Renga and Renku, Lynx, the Iron Book of British Haiku.
- Foto’s – poem in Zwanebloemen, an anthology of poems by Dutch and Belgian writers, published by De Vleermuis uitgevery b.v., 1995.
- Te Veel Kaneel (Too much cinnamon) – pamphlet of Dutch poems published by Hub Editions.
- Boxing with the Lobster, Wat heet geluk? – pamphlets self-published by Acacia Publications.
- Short stories have been competition semi-finalist and published in anthologies.
- Took part in the 1995 World One-Day Novel Cup, held at the Groucho Club, London. In the 24 hours I wrote the 16,000 word novel The Crow Eaters.
- Diving at Calypso Bay was broadcast on the BBC Write Now programme.
I contribute reviews to Presence of collections and anthologies of haiku, tanka and sijo published in the UK and abroad.
- Gained First prize and £250 in the CEPEC 10th Anniversary Essay Competition, published in Occasional Papers June 1988 as Have the Outplacement Agencies got it right?
- Produced articles for Manchester Evening News, the ICI in-house magazine Options, Training Officer, Executive Post, Singles Magazine, Office at Home, Employee Counselling Today, BAC Counselling at Work Digest.
- Commissioned to research and write training manuals and workbooks, including a career coaching workbook of over 200 pages.
- Produced Newsletters for the Lalibela Educational Trust (2007 – 2011).