Here you will find details of published poems, awards, and competition successes. My debut collection Another life was published by Oversteps Books in November 2016. Indigo Dreams Publishing Ltd published a second collection Nothing serious, nothing dangerous in November 2019. My pamphlet A Stolen Hour was published by Grey Hen Press spring 2020.
Awards and competition successes
- Received a Northern Writers Award 2020 from New Writing North, judged by poet Vahni Capildeo. I am using part of the cash award on mentoring to achieve publication of a current project.
- Partial view of a loch was nominated for the Forward Prize for best single poem (2019).
- In 2019 Self-portrait with beret, wide-eyed was shortlisted in the 2019 Grey Hen Poetry Competition and published in their Out of Context anthology. Other poems were shortlisted, and a winner in a competition on mental health, organised by Fly on the Wall Press.
- Poems were selected and shortlisted in the 2018 Ver Poets Open Competition and 2018 Ilkley Literature Festival poetry competition.
- In 2017 Cellar was a runner-up in the Ambit poetry competition, judged by George Szirtes. Poems were also commended in the Barnet Open Poetry Competition, the Waltraud Field Open Poetry Competition, were a runner-up in the same competition, and highly commended in the Poetry on the Lake competition. The poem Whitby Scenes was awarded the second prize in the Waltraud Field Open Poetry competition.
- During 2016 poems were a winner in the Poetry Society’s quarterly member competition; commended in the Havant Open Poetry competition, and Highly Commended in the Manchester Cathedral Poetry competition.
- My father as a coat stand was commended in the 2014 Magma poetry competition and published in the magazine.
- My entry in the 2013 erbacce poetry pamphlet competition was commended. This competition had over 6,000 entries from the UK and abroad.
- The poem Standing in for Utah was awarded the Sonnet Prize in the Ware Poets Open Poetry competition, while Still casting a shadow was commended in the same competition. Both poems were published in the competition anthology. The Vienna of Sigmund Freud was awarded the second place in the Marple International Poetry competition.
- My early successes include being awarded a Highly Commended in the 1995 Tees Valley Writer poetry competition for the sonnet On the beach. The poem Final wishes was the winner in the 1994 Salford Libraries’ Writing Competition. Games was awarded a Seal of Achievement from the Yeats Club, 1988.
Poems – Published
- Featured Poet in Orbis #185, with five poems, prose poems and prose pieces.
- Twelve poems were published in erbacce with an interview with Dr Ursula Hurley, Senior Lecturer in English and Creative Writing, Salford University.
- Poems have been published in a range of magazines, including Orbis, The North, Little Mslexia, Magma, Poetry News, The Affectionate Punch, Pause, Rapport, erbacce, Strix, The Journal, The Frogmore Papers.
- Several poems appeared online on The Poetry Shed and Free Verse Revolution sites.
- Poems have appeared in over 20 anthologies. Details of recent anthologies are on the Books page.
- Haiku, tanka and renga and other collaborative sequences have been published in anthologies, magazines and journals. These include Bare Bones, Blithe Spirit, Presence, Journal of Renga and Renku, Lynx, the Iron Book of British Haiku.
- Foto’s – poem in Zwanebloemen, an anthology of poems by Dutch and Belgian writers, published by De Vleermuis uitgevery b.v., 1995.
- Te Veel Kaneel (Too much cinnamon) – pamphlet of Dutch poems published by Hub Editions.
- Boxing with the Lobster, Wat heet geluk? – pamphlets self-published by Acacia Publications.
- Short stories have been competition semi-finalist and published in anthologies.
- Took part in the 1995 World One-Day Novel Cup, held at the Groucho Club, London. In the 24 hours I wrote the 16,000 word novel The Crow Eaters.
- Diving at Calypso Bay was broadcast on the regional BBC Write Now programme.
I have written a number of reviews for the magazine Presence of collections and anthologies of haiku, tanka and sijo published in the UK and abroad.
- Gained 1st prize and £250 in the CEPEC 10th Anniversary Essay Competition, published in Occasional Papers June 1988 as Have the Outplacement Agencies got it right?
- As a free-lance writer I produced articles on a range of topics for journals, magazines, newspapers and in-house magazines, including Executive Post, Singles Magazine, Office at Home, Employee Counselling Today, Manchester Evening News, BAC Counselling at Work Digest, the ICI in-house magazine Options, Training Officer.
- I was commissioned to research and write a range of training manuals and workbooks, including a career coaching workbook of over 200 pages.
- Produced a series of Newsletters for the Lalibela Educational Trust (from April 2007 until 2011).