My debut collection Another life was published by Oversteps Books in 2016. Indigo Dreams Publishing Ltd published a second collection Nothing serious, nothing dangerous in November 2019. My pamphlet A Stolen Hour was published by Grey Hen Press in 2020. I hold a Northern Writers’ Award from New Writing North, 2020.
Awards and competition successes
- 2022: Broken Sleep Books will publish my third collection October 2022.
- 2021: The award-winning manuscript of Remembering/Disease accepted for publication. Judged the 2021 Waltraud Field competition for Crewe & District Writers Circle.
- 2020: Received a Northern Writers’ Award from New Writing North, judged by Vahni Capildeo. Shortlisted in the Cafe Writers’ competition.
- 2019: nominated for the Forward Prize for best single poem, shortlisted in the Grey Hen Press competition, and winner in the Fly on the Wall Press competition.
- 2018: selected (Ver Poets), shortlisted (Ilkley Literature Festival) competitions.
- 2017: runner-up in the Ambit poetry competition, judged by George Szirtes, awarded 2nd Prize in the Waltraud Field Competition, highly commended (Poetry on the Lake) and commended (Barnet, Waltraud Field).
- 2016: winner (Poetry Society’s quarterly member competition), Highly commended (Manchester Cathedral) and commended (Havant).
- 2014: Commended in the Magma competition.
- 2013: Entry in the erbacce pamphlet competition was commended. erbacce magazine published 12 poems and an interview with Dr Ursula Hurley.
- 2012: Sonnet Prize and a Commended in the Ware Poets Open Poetry competition. Awarded 2nd place in the Marple International Poetry competition.
Poems – Published
- Print magazines, including: Orbis, The North, Little Mslexia, Magma, Poetry News, The Affectionate Punch, Pause, Rapport, erbacce, Strix, The Journal, The Frogmore Papers, Fly on the Wall Magazine, Pennine Platform, Shearsman Magazine. I was the Featured Poet in Orbis # 185.
- Online: And Other Poems, Ink Sweat & Tears, Poetry and Covid, Poems in the Plague Year, Floresta Magazine, The Poetry Shed, Free Verse Revolution, Harana, Silver Birch Press (US), Dust magazine, Persimmon Tree (US), The Storms (Eire).
- Over 20 anthologies. Details are on the Books page.
- Haiku, tanka, renga and other collaborative sequences have been published in anthologies, magazines and journals. These include Bare Bones, Blithe Spirit, Presence, Journal of Renga and Renku, Lynx, the Iron Book of British Haiku.
- Short stories were competition semi-finalist and published in anthologies.
- Took part in the 1995 World One-Day Novel Cup, held at the Groucho Club, London. In the 24 hours I wrote the 16,000 word novel The Crow Eaters.
- Diving at Calypso Bay was broadcast on the BBC Write Now programme.
I contribute reviews to Presence of collections and anthologies of haiku, tanka and haibun published in the UK and abroad.
- First prize and £250 in the CEPEC 10th Anniversary Essay Competition, published in Occasional Papers June 1988 as Have the Outplacement Agencies got it right?
- Newsletter Editor for the Lalibela Educational Trust (2007 – 2011).