Here you will find details of poems which were successful in competitions and of those published in magazines and anthologies. I also write short stories, reviews and non-fiction. My debut collection Another life was published by Oversteps Books in November 2016.
Poems – Awards
- Net curtains – Selected in the Ver Poets Open Competition 2018 and published in the competition anthology.
- Quantum – Commended in the 2017 Barnet Open Poetry Competition; published in the competition anthology.
- Monkeys – Highly Commended (short poem category) of the 2017 Poetry on the Lake Competition.
- Cellar – runner-up in the 2017 Ambit poetry competition.
- Heading home – runner-up in the 2017 Waltraud Field Open Poetry Competition.
- Whitby Scenes – awarded 2nd prize in the same competition.
- This too is art – a winner in the Poetry Society’s 2016 competition on the theme of ‘Messages’.
- Why are we in Vietnam? – Commended in the 2016 Havant Open Poetry competition.
- A la Hafiz – Highly Commended in the 2016 Manchester Cathedral Poetry competition.
- My father as a coat stand – Commended in the 2014 Magma poetry competition.
- Morning – Shortlisted in the 2013 Flamingofeather competition; subsequently published in Orbis. It gained a joint 3rd place in the Readers’ Award.
- My entry of five poems was commended in the 2013 Erbacce pamphlet competition.
- The Vienna of Sigmund Freud – awarded 2nd place in the 2012 Marple International Poetry competition.
- Standing in for Utah – awarded the RedPage Sonnet Prize in the 2012 Ware Poets Open Poetry competition; published in the competition anthology.
- Still casting a shadow – Commended in the above competition; published in the competition anthology.
- The Lido, Clifton – shortlisted in the 2012 Ashbourne poetry competition; it was on display in the town during the festival.
- Taking other routes – Highly Commended in the 2012 Well Warrington Network Competition.
- On the beach – Highly Commended in the 1995 Tees Valley Writer poetry competition.
- Final wishes – winning poem in the 1994 Salford Libraries’ Writing Competition.
- Games – awarded a Seal of Achievement from the Yeats Club, 1988.
Poems – Published
- Competition entry in the 2013 Erbacce poetry competition was shortlisted and commended. Twelve poems were published in Erbacce along with an interview with Dr Ursula Hurley, Senior Lecturer in English and Creative Writing, Salford University.
- Poems have been published in a range of magazines, including Orbis, The North, Little Mslexia, Magma, Poetry News, The Affectionate Punch, Pause, Rapport, Erbacce, Strix, The Journal.
- Poems have appeared in over 20 anthologies, more recently in Gazing at Gaia (2017), Best of British (Paper Swans Press, 2017), The Valley Press Anthology of Yorkshire Poetry (2017), Building Bridges: an International Anthology of Ekphrasis (Ek Zuban, 2017), Songs for the Unsung (Grey Hen Press, 2017), The Pocket Poetry Book of Love (Paper Swans Press, 2018).
- Haiku, tanka and renga and other collaborative sequences have been published in anthologies, magazines and journals. These include Bare Bones, Blithe Spirit, Presence, Journal of Renga and Renku, Lynx, the Iron Book of British Haiku.
- Foto’s – poem in Zwanebloemen, an anthology of poems by Dutch and Belgian writers, published by De Vleermuis uitgevery b.v., 1995.
- Te Veel Kaneel (Too much cinnamon) – pamphlet of Dutch poems published by Hub Editions.
- Boxing with the Lobster, Wat heet geluk? – pamphlets self-published by Acacia Publications.
- Short stories have been shortlisted in competitions and published in anthologies.
- Took part in the 1995 World One-Day Novel Cup, held at the Groucho Club, London. In the 24 hours I wrote the 16,000 word novel The Crow Eaters.
- Diving at Calypso Bay was broadcast on the regional BBC Write Now programme.
I have written a number of reviews for the magazine Presence of collections and anthologies of haiku, tanka and sijo published in the UK and abroad.
- Gained 1st prize and £250 in the CEPEC 10th Anniversary Essay Competition, published in Occasional Papers June 1988 as Have the Outplacement Agencies got it right?
- As a free-lance writer I produced articles on a range of topics for journals, magazines, newspapers and in-house magazines, including Executive Post, Singles Magazine, Office at Home, Employee Counselling Today, Manchester Evening News, BAC Counselling at Work Digest, the ICI in-house magazine Options, Training Officer.
- Several training and development consultancies commissioned me to research and write a range of training manuals and workbooks, including a comprehensive career coaching workbook of over 200 pages.
- Produced a series of Newsletters for the Lalibela Educational Trust (from April 2007 until 2011).